I’ve known Mary Marantz for many years, and one thing that has always struck me about Mary was her willingness to share her story; not just the pretty side of her story– not the wins, or her success– but the lessons she learned in the mess.
She is an internationally renowned photographer, author, educator, and speaker who travels the world teaching and inspiring other creative business owners. She has been named a “Legend of Light” by Profoto as well as one of the Top 100 photographers by SLR Lounge & Brandsmash. You can find her work in many high-end publications, including Martha Stewart, Well Wed & Inside Weddings. She is also the founder & Editor in Chief of twin wedding blogs The Black Tie Bride & The Well Groomed Groom.
However, she comes from very humble beginnings, and life didn’t always look like it does now.
Mary is on a mission to help all of us build a legacy brand– not just a business– but a brand that stands the test of time.
LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST EPISODE
In this episode, she shares her journey and the critical moment in her childhood where she began to uncover her purpose. Her father, a proud West Virginia logger and 2nd generation owner of the family business, lost everything. It was in that moment that Mary began to understand that we were all born to do something in our lives– but sometimes, even with the most exceptional talent and intention, we fail because don’t have the right tools or resources to make our purpose profitable.
This episode is a powerful one that has resonated with me every single day since I had the chance to interview Mary. Her story and her words have transformed me, and I know you will be, too.
In this episode of The Power in Purpose Podcast, Mary Marantz shares:
- Her life growing up in rural West Virginia and the lessons it taught her
- How she discovered and uncovered her purpose at an early age
- Growing up poor and the call she felt for a “life of success,” which led her to Yale Law School
- Her and her husband's decision to forego the safe, set and suppose to, choosing instead to take a big leap and build a business
- The powerful mindset of not being successful but rather, significant
- How she categorizes businesses as either a weed, flower or tree– and how you can build a business that has strong roots and bares fruit
- Mary shares with us some foundational principles in business, so we can build a brand that leads with our purpose
- Her belief that finding your why cannot be rushed
- An important discussion on how we ask others “how” and “who” and “what” as it relates to our business– but we rarely ask the question, why?
- Mary challenges you with this simple question: OK, but why?
- The greatest lesson her father taught her– anything that’s worth doing is worth doing well
- Acknowledging your instant gratification mindset and how to move away from it, embracing slow growth = strong roots instead
- In a world full of noise, Mary encourages us to listen to the right people as it relates to our business– and shares what you should be looking for when you seek a mentor
- Staying the course in your business when things get tough, or when you feel like your not gaining traction
- How her morning routine of “win the day” has transformed her mindset, along with other daily routines she has to feed her mind, body, and soul
- I ask Mary if she’s ever suffered from imposter syndrome, and she shares her answer along with her thoughts on why we suffer from imposter syndrome
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE
- Book: Start with Why by Simon Sinek
- Book: The E-Myth by Michael E. Gerber
- Branding & Web Design: Tonic Site Shop
Does Honeybook sound like the right fit for your business?
… or use the code PURPOSE at checkout
EXPLORE MORE RESOURCES
- Episode 33 | Geomyra Pollard Wants You To Stop Seeking Balance & Teaches Us How to Be More Well-Rounded
- Episode 26 | A Year of Purpose: 12 Lessons Learned Since We Launched the Podcast
Want to download a free biz plan outline + guide?
IT'S TIME TO STOP WINGING IT AND CREATE A STRATEGY FOR YOUR BIZ
My free Business Plan Outline + Guide gets you past the blinking cursor and onto creating the business you've been dreaming of. Drop your name and email below to download it for free ↓
WAYS TO CONNECT WITH MARY
- Instagram: @MaryMarantz
- Facebook: Justin & Mary
- Her Website: JustinandMaryBlog.com
- Courses & Education: Justin and Mary's Courses