Megan Gillikin from A Southern Soiree and Weddings For Real Podcast shares her story on burnout, pruning your business, discovering what's important, and balancing it all well. She will challenge you in this episode to think about your legacy.
Today’s episode of The Power in Purpose Podcast is a special one: my guest, Megan Gillikin, host of the Weddings for Real Podcast, shows us the power behind why we do what we do.
Her business, A Southern Soiree, has evolved over the years and in 2016, she discovered that the company she loved and nurtured was ‘growing like a weed.’ Burnt out, unsure if she should continue and full of doubt, Megan got a phone call from a potential customer that changed everything.
In today’s episode, Megan shares the tipping point that forever changed her perspective on life and business. Today’s episode is a gift… and the gift is not just her story, but the story she shares of the customer who changed her life.
If you were to die tomorrow, how would you want to be remembered?
In 2010, Megan took over ownership of an existing wedding planning company in need of re-branding to remain relevant within the industry.
Over the last 9 years, Megan has grown A Southern Soiree into a multi-planner firm and established it as one of the most sought after, highly regarded event planning companies in NC.
A new passion for Megan’s started in 2018 was a podcast for industry vendors (Weddings For Real) that has highlighted a love that Megan has for providing real, insightful, and tangible advice and wisdom on growing and sustaining a successful event business.
On Today’s episode of The Power in Purpose Podcast Megan Gillikin from the Weddings For Real Podcast shares:
- Her journey of becoming an entrepreneur and how a job interview turned into purchasing the business she was interviewing for!
- The phases of business that lead to burnout
- During a season in Megan’s business where she felt overwhelmed and unsure if she should continue, she got a call from a former client that rocked her… and ultimately changed her own life and path forward
- How Megan learned to separate her own sense of self from the success of her business
- In discovering her purpose, Megan uncovered that she was attracting the wrong clients — ones that didn’t align with her purpose — and the simple change she made to start attracting the right clients
- Ask yourself: how do you want to be remembered? Megan and I talk about this concept and why it’s so important.
- The importance of trust in the relationships with clients and how it’s the key ingredient
- If you feel like you’re in the weeds and your business has grown in directions you were not prepared for, Megan and I have a conversation about pruning
- We are all a constant work in progress and we need to let go of the preconceived notion that everyone else has it all together
- Megan shares the lessons she learned in striking a balance between motherhood and climbing the ladder of success
- If you’re a parent or aspiring to be a parent, Megan shares some tangible tips on how to strike a balance that makes sense
- Megan wants you to figure out what works for you rather than comparing how someone else parents, or runs their business
- We live in a time where judgment reigns supreme, and Megan and I talk about the judgemental space of being a parent and how to overcome
- Who inspires Megan and lives by their purpose
- Don’t miss out on our hilarious conversation about The Bachelor and Tom Hanks (random)
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE
- Listen to Episode 008 of The Power in Purpose Podcast: Mary Marantz: Building a Legacy Brand
- Download the Cozi App
- Listen to My Interview on the Weddings For Real Podcast: Why You Need a Business Plan
- Download My Business Plan Template
CONNECT WITH MEGAN GILLIKIN
- Visit Her Website: A Southern Soiree
- Subscribe to The Weddings For Real Podcast
- Follow Her Podcast on Instagram
- Follow Her Business on Instagram
- Like Her Podcast on Facebook
- Like Her Business on Facebook
Explore More Wedding Industry Resources
- 5 Time Management Tips & Secrets for Creative Biz Owners
- Episode 33 | Geomyra Pollard Wants You To Stop Seeking Balance & Teaches Us How To Be More Well-Rounded
- Episode 27 | 5 Sales Strategies To Book More Clients This Engagement Season
- Episode 23 | 5 Things A Business Plan Will Reveal About Your Business