Have you ever cast a vision for your business? Have you sat down and thought about what kind of business you really want to grow? If you feel like you're not making progress in your business right now–it could be because you're not really sure about where you're headed.
On Today’s episode of The Power in Purpose Podcast, I'm teaching you how to vision cast for your business:
- What masterminding your business really means and where you need to start.
- Why you need to ask yourself hard questions as you plan your business.
- The one thing that stands in the way of you really masterminding your business.
What’s the secret to having the business you want?
As an entrepreneur, you’re always on the hunt for the answer to that question. What’s that one big strategy, trick, tip, or hack that will get me closer to the business that I want?
After 13 years of running multiple successful businesses, I can tell you that there is one strategy that will get you closer to the business you want to build. One that supports your meaningful life and helps the lives of your customers.
2020 has been one of those emotional rollercoaster years where one minute you’re up–and the next minute you’re down. For so many of us, the future feels uncertain, especially in our business. In the midst of uncertainty, I want you to know that you CAN take control over what you want for the future of your business.
Today, I am going to challenge you to vision cast for your business and for yourself.
What is vision casting?
No one ever arrives at a destination by drifting. In order for you to have the business YOU want, you have to figure out where the heck you’re going. And that’s what vision casting does.
Think of it like taking a trip forward in time, to a destination where your business is exactly where you want it to be. You’re doing the kind of meaningful work that inspired you to start your business in the first place, and you’re making the kind of money that supports your meaningful life.
It’s getting clear on what kind of business you’re building, so you can experiment with strategies that will help you get there.
Why is vision casting the “secret” to having the business I want?
Most entrepreneurs start a business because they have a burning desire in their belly to do something different. They want to make an impact and have freedom in their life to make decisions based on their own work and merit.
But most entrepreneurs don’t stop and take the time to really think about the business they want. They’re eager to get going–excited to dive right in–and skip over casting a vision for their future.
So many business owners start their companies without vision– and here’s what ends up happening, you:
- Constantly tread water and feel like you never make any forward progress in your business toward your goals…
- Have all these great ideas that you’ll get to soon– and always move the goal post– because you’re just not ready
- Struggle with imposter syndrome and sometimes you feel like a fraud. Failure is something you might feel all the time.
- Flush money down the drain by investing in courses, and freebies, and mentors and programs, and marketing hacks but don’t make any traction.
- Ultimately feel like you don’t have control over what happens…
What if I told you that all those problems could be solved with a clear vision of where you want to go?
There is one thing that stands in the way of you owning the business that you want. It’s not your…
- Marketing, pricing, your website, or your copy.
- Instagram captions, your hashtags, or how many times a day you jump on stories.
- Services, your offer, or your sales pitch.
- Creative experience level or the fact that you don’t have a business plan. It’s not the economy, your geographical location, or the over-saturation of your marketplace.
The one thing that stands in between where you are today and the business YOU want… is you.
We believe that all these outside influences are what we need to master or change to get us closer to having the business that we want. And yes, all these things have value. All these things can make it harder or easier to have the business you want, but they’re not what is holding you back.
So I have a question:
Who do you have to become in order to be the owner of the business you want?
Keep that question handy–it’s going to be something we work on next.
How do I get started with vision casting for my business?
Vision casting is pretty simple–and I’m going to walk you through it step-by-step so you can start casting a vision for the future of your business and who you have to become to take your business there.
STEP ONE: SCHEDULE THE TIME
I want you to schedule a day, a FULL DAY, to mastermind what you want for your business and your life. The kind of impact you want to create, the money you want to have, the work you want to do, and the life you want to have.
You don’t need anything fancy. Just a pen, a notebook, a couple of snacks, and your favorite beverage or Netflix show on in the background.
And all you need to do is dream. Write. Think big. Think about all the things you want to accomplish, the people you want to touch, the life you want to create, and write it down.
But please–don’t skip this step. Scheduling a full day of uninterrupted time to think about your business and future is the only way you’ll be able to truly cast a vision for your business.
In fact, do me a favor. Open up your calendar right now and schedule a full day to vision cast for your business. Make sure it’s in the next week (we don’t want this to be another one of those projects that you’ll get to soon!).
STEP TWO: CASTING A VISION FOR YOUR BUSINESS
All right–the day has come for you to spend a full day working on this exercise! You’ve got your calendar cleared, your snacks are ready, and you’ve opened up a fresh Google doc to get started.
I want you to cast a vision for your business first. If you could jump ahead in time, someplace in the future, what would your business look like? If you hired a video team to capture your business, “a day in the life”, what would they film?
Here are some questions to get you started. Use them to paint a picture of how your business operates on a day, what it does, and how it supports you and your customers.
- Who would your business serve?
- Where is it located?
- What does your business offer?
- Your customer's have problems. What problems do you solve for your customers?
- What values are important to your business?
- Tell me about your office! What does your office look like?
- How much money does it make?
- Do you have a team? What do they do?
- Let's talk impact. What kind of impact do you create in this world?
- What is your brand story?
- Looking back, what are some of your companies biggest accomplishments?
- How does it live out its mission?
- How does it live out its purpose?
The answers to all these questions should start to paint a picture of what your dream business looks like in the future. Really spend some time here thinking about what your business looks like and be as descriptive as possible.
And after you’ve done that, I want you to write down what the owner of that business looks like…
STEP THREE: CASTING A VISION FOR WHO YOU HAVE TO BECOME
Remember when I said the only thing that stands in the way of you and the business you want is you? In order for you to grow your business into the one you've vision cast for, you need to get real about who you have to become in order to be the owner of that business.
If that same video team captures a day in your life, what would the video say?
- How do you start your day?
- Let's jump right into the good stuff. What kind of outfit do you have on and what kinda car are you driving?!
- What kind of money do YOU make?
- Where do you make that money?
- Who are you serving?
- What kind of work are you doing?
- Are you a tastemaker? An expert? Ready to jump a flight to somewhere to speak to your colleagues? Toasting a feature in a huge magazine? Ready to receive recognition for your work?
- How do you spend your time?
- What kind of impact are YOU creating?
- How many hours do you work?
- Let's go there. What challenges have you overcome?
- You've come a long way. Tell me, what habits did you have to break?
- What mindset shifts did you have to make?
- What values do you have?
- How do you show up for others, your family, your kids, your friends and yourself?
I want you to examine the shifts you need to make, the work you need to do ON YOURSELF, the beliefs you need to change, the values you need to have, and the motivation you need to muster in order to be that business owner.
Your business needs you. The business that you want needs you to become the owner of that business.
STEP FOUR: EVALUATE WHAT IT’S GOING TO TAKE TO GET THERE
You’ve cast a vision for your business and who you have to become as the owner of that business. Now what?!
It’s time for you to evaluate what it’s going to take to get you from where you are today, to that vision that you cast. What strategies do you need to have in place? How much money do you need to spend (or start saving)? What changes do you need to make? What do you need to let go of and what should you hold on to? What big scary decisions do you need to make?
For some, vision casting puts into focus the deep work we need to do on ourselves. It’s like a mirror, reflecting back to us all the good and all the not-so-good things. For others, it may reveal that you’re already on the right path (and you should stop being so hard on yourself).
This is the part where you have to take over and come up with strategies that will help you get closer to that vision you cast. But remember, your business needs you to become the owner of that business–and there’s no better time than today to start showing up as the person you have to become.
Thanks for tuning into today’s episode of The Power in Purpose Podcast. I want to know– what was your biggest takeaway? Head to my Instagram to join the conversation!
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE
- Honeybook: Thanks to Honeybook for sponsoring today's episode. It's time for you to take control of your biz, book clients with ease, and get paid faster. Click here to save 50% off your first year.
- Flodesk: Thanks to Flodesk for sponsoring today's episode. Looking to boost your email marketing with beautiful, highly converting emails? Check out Flodesk and save 50% off for LIFE.
Explore More Wedding Industry Resources
- Fears, Feelings & Facts: How to Navigate Your Creative Business During The Coronavirus
- 5 Things a Biz Plan Will Reveal About Your Biz – And Why You Need One
- How I Started My Biz in an Economic Downturn
- Podcast Episode: How to Get Out of Drift Mode & Into Design Mode
- Podcast Episode: Charging What You're Worth is a Big Lie
Some of the links used in this blog post are affiliate links. When you purchase something, our company receives a small compensation at no cost to you. This compensation helps to maintain the cost of creating helpful content, like our podcast, so you can build a profitable business with purpose.